Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Flint Collecting Near Flint Ridge Ohio

Flint Ridge area is roughly 3 miles SE of Newark, Licking County, Ohio and extends 12 miles to the Northwest up to Zanesville, Muskingum County, Ohio. Specifically near Brownsville Ohio at the location known as John Nethers farm. It is important to note, flint collecting is prohibited at Flint Ridge State Memorial and on state lands in the area. Flint collecting may be permissible on private lands but YOU MUST GAIN PERMISSION. This article DOES NOT grant permission. I visited this site numerous times between 1978-1984. Much of the flint deposits have been exhausted especially the "Nelly Blue" flint but drusy quartz can still be found. I found a large piece covered in good quality Smoky Quartz
View John Nethers Farm, Flint Ridge Ohio in a larger map
From Rocks
Ohio flint photo taken in Flint Ridge quarry pit near Toboso, Ohio
courtesy S. Cyd Read © www.naturalbornhikers.com (Flickr Photostream)

2 comments:

Jess said...

I have been looking for someone in the flint ridge area to contact about flint. Do you have any contact information for John Nethers Farm? Also, do you know if there is a knap-in this year? I couldn't find information on it, but I thought it was every labor day. Thanks in advance.

Anonymous said...

My name is Tamara Snyder, Vice President of the Licking County Rock & Mineral Society. Every summer (and many other times by ourselves) our club goes to Nethers Farm for our Summer Picnic. Contact me at imabeachbum@roadrunner.com and I will give you more information. As for the knap-in, they do still have them every year and I will give you the information on that as well.

My Adsense